Effective January 2022, CMS will begin posting staffing turnover and weekend staffing levels for each nursing home on the public website for consumers to compare nursing facilities to one another.
The CMS Memo Staff Turnover and Weekend Staffing 1.7.2022 elaborates on the details and rational of CMS:
“CMS has a long-standing commitment to transparency. This includes making data available for all stakeholders to support their efforts for consumer or resident advocacy, nursing home quality improvement, academic research, or other analysis to inform actions for our collective efforts to improve residents’ health and safety.”
“CMS has had concerns related to low staffing on weekends. Also, the Office of Inspector General (OIG) analyzed the level of staffing from day to day and raised concerns that consumers may not be aware that some nursing homes have considerable variation in their daily staffing levels.” 1.7.2022 Memo
- The level of total nurse (RN, LPN & CNA) and registered nurse (RN) staffing on weekends provided by each nursing home over a quarter.
- This will be reported as average hours worked per resident per day on weekends.
“We (CMS) believe making this information available to consumers will help them understand more about each facility’s staffing environment.” 1.7.2022 Memo
- The percent of RN staff that left the facility over the last year.
- The percent of total nurse staff that have left the facility over the last year.
- The number of administrators that have left the facility over the last year.
- Five Star Rating System Technical Users’ Guide January 14, 2022.
“It is critical that facilities use the methodology to link old and
new employee identifiers together when these identifiers change. If a facility does not do this,
it will artificially increase its staff turnover measures, which can be viewed as worse
Facilities must link employee identifiers to ensure turnover measures are accurate.
Instructions and templates for linking employee identifiers is described in the Five Star Staffing Domain Linking Employee Identifiers