Compliance • Audits/Analysis • Reimbursement/Regulatory • Education/Efficiency
The next SNF PEPPER (version Q4FY16) is scheduled for release on April 17, 2017. The release of the Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF) Program for Evaluating Payment Patterns Electronic Report (PEPPER) with statistics through September 2016 will be available for review. TMF Health Quality Institute is under contract with the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services to provide comparative data reports, including the PEPPER, to providers and to Medicare Administrative Contractors in support of the efforts to reduce Medicare fee-for-service improper payments.
PEPPER is an educational tool that summarizes provider-specific data statistics for Medicare services that may be at risk for improper payments. Providers can use the data to support internal auditing and monitoring activities.
Step on How to Access Your SNF PEPPER (version Q4FY16)
The annual PEPPER report for SNF's will be released 4/17/17. To access your facility’s PEPPER data, you need to log on to the TMF website at: https://securefile.tmf.org/
- Step 1: Review the Secure PEPPER Access Guide
- Step 2: Review the instructions and obtain the information required to authenticate access
- Step 3: Accessing the data. The data is accessible to the Provider. The following positions at your facility can access the PEPPER:
- Chief Executive Officer
- Compliance Officer
- Step 4: To access this website, you need the following:
- Facility’s 6 digit CMS certification number (referred to as Provider number or PTAN). The 3rd digit of this number will be a 5 or 6.
- You will also need a Patient Control Number or a Medical Record Number (found at form locators 03a or 03b on the UB-04 claim form) from a claim of a traditional fee-for-service Medicare beneficiary who received services during the specified time period (“from” or “through” date between September 1-30, 2016.)
- Step 5: Visit the PEPPER Resources Portal
- Step 6: Complete all the fields
- Step 7: Download your PEPPER.
The SNF PEPPER will be available to download for approximately two years.
Who has a PEPPER?
Dates for all PEPPER releases include:
- March 6, 2017: Q4FY16 PEPPER release for short-term acute care hospitals
- April 17, 2017: Q4FY16 PEPPER release for skilled nursing facilities, hospices, critical access hospitals, inpatient psychiatric facilities, inpatient rehabilitation facilities and long-term acute care hospitals
- June 5, 2017: Q1FY17 PEPPER release for short-term acute care hospitals
- July 17, 2017: Q4CY16 PEPPER release for home health agencies and partial hospitalization programs
- August 31, 2017: Q2FY17 PEPPER release for short-term acute care hospitals
What do I do with a PEPPER?
Harmony Healthcare International (HHI) offers a complimentary analysis of the SNF PEPPER. If you are interested in speaking to a Harmony HealthCARE Specialist regarding your PEPPER, please fill out the form here.
Once submitted, please allow 3-4 days for Harmony to complete a comprehensive PEPPER Analysis. Upon completion, a Harmony HealthCARE Specialist will contact you to set up a 45- minute call to review the findings and provide you with a user friendly report indicating:
- Facility Specific Trends
- Organizational Trends
- State Specific Trends
- National Trends
- Compliance Triggers
- Audit Triggers
If you have questions about the latest SNF PEPPER, please contact Harmony Healthcare International (HHI) by clicking here or calling our office at (800) 530-4413.
6th Annual LTPAC Symposium
Click Here to Register