Compliance • Audits/Analysis • Reimbursement/Regulatory • Education/Efficiency
Discharge Assessments are required on patients discharged from the facility as well as when a patient’s Medicare Part A Stay ends and the patient remains in the facility. It is important to understand that there are now two types of discharges:
- OBRA Discharge is required when resident is discharged from the facility.
- Discharge Return Anticipated
- Discharge Return Not Anticipated
- SNF PPS Discharge Assessment is required when the patient ends Medicare coverage for any reason other than Death in the Facility:
- Benefits Exhaust
- Drop in Skilled Level of Care
- Discharge Home or Other Destination
Some situations require coding of both types of discharges. Use MDS software programs to identify the Medicare patients that ended coverage during this period. Validate completion of the Nursing Home Part A PPS Discharge:
- Review by Month: October 2016 through December 2016 for SNF QRP Data that will be collected May 15, 2017.
- Review Ongoing: Each discharge or end of a Medicare Stay to validate that SNF PPS Discharge Assessment is complete for all reasons except Death in Facility.
Harmony Healthcare International (HHI) is available to assist with any questions or concerns that you may have regarding discharges. You can contact us by clicking here. Looking to train your staff? Join us in person at one of our our upcoming Competency/Certification Courses. Click here to see the dates and locations.
6th Annual LTPAC Symposium
Click Here to Register