Since update on coding of Pneumococcal vaccines status as "up to date" in 2019, if patient just had the PPVS23 is that considered up to date in accordance with ACIP guidelines?
- The individual received one dose of Pneumococcal 23 at the age of 63. At the age of 65, they receive Prevnar 13. They should not receive the second dose of Pneumococcal 23 until they are 68, when 5 years have passed since the first. This person would be considered up to date until they are 68, when the Pneumovax 23 could be administered.
- The 60-year old individual received Pneumovax 23 at the age of 52. They are up to date until the age of 65, when the “after age 65” recommendations take effect.
- For persons considered to be “high risk:”
- “High risk” includes immunocompromising conditions, Cerebrospinal fluid leaks, or persons with Cochlear Implants.
- APIC recommends persons considered to be “high risk” receive the Prevnar 13 vaccine followed by the Pneumovax 23 with 8 weeks in between vaccinations.
To properly code Section O of the MDS, it is important to know the person’s vaccination history. Obtaining vaccination history from the Primary Care Provider supports an accurate vaccination history in the medical record.
Also, for Medicare beneficiaries, the Fiscal Intermediary Shared System (FISS) report will have a record of any vaccination that was billed to Medicare in the Preventative Healthcare section.
Harmony Healthcare International (HHI) is hosting our 9th Annual Long-Term & Post-Acute Care (LTPAC) Interdisciplinary Symposium Thursday, October 21st, and Friday, October 22nd, 2021 at the Encore Boston Harbor resort and casino. Click below to register and for more information!
Harmony Healthcare International (HHI) is available to train your staff on MDS. HHI is happy to present you with our 8-week MDS Bootcamp Level 1 hosted virtually for 1-hour each Wednesday, September 15, 2021 - November 3, 2021, from 1:00 P.M. EST – 2: 00 P.M. EST. This weekly MDS Bootcamp will cover Medicare Entitlement, Eligibility and Coverage Criteria, Medicare Process, and more! Click below for more information and to register.
If you are already enrolled in the MDS Bootcamp Level 1, check out the next Level of our MDS Bootcamp Level 2 below! This will be hosted virtually for 1-hour each Wednesday, September 15, 2021 - November 3, 2021 from 2:00 P.M. EST – 3:00 P.M. EST.